Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and I hope you went to the CRASH Space meeting…)
It’s been a super super long week for me, but I’m trying to model that it’s better to do a little bit when you can that to get hung up on being the perfect netizen all the time. Every file is made from bits. Toggle yours as you can.
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running.
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s).
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle.
- Put any straggling passwords/secure info into password manager, Spend some time updating flagged passwords.
- What neglected inbox will you check today?
This Week’s Focus:
Permissions. What has permission to do what, with what data. Check settings this week!
Start up items
- Switch to a privacy supportive search engine
- Install privacy plugins
- Develop a process for stripping EXIF data
- Check & clear histories
- Delete software and accounts not in use
- Check what your devices are saying about you:
- Phone settings
- Computer browsers
- IoT devices
- Do some contact list clean up
- Transfer email to offline archive
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news?
- Phone call of the week: Stop digital backdoors if only because the people in law enforcement and working for companies have weaknesses, too.
- Critical flaws in how email clients handle PGP? Your monthly? Weekly? reminder that email was designed to be a postcard not a letter. Some analysis.
- Interested in helping reform the DMCA by trying to build Apps for TV… Announcing the NeTV2 crowdfunding campaign by Bunnie Huang – via his blog and BoingBoing
- Sending inaudible commands to voice assistants… yikes, makes those silent? spam voicemails I get all the creepier!
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something this week? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.