Tuesday Sweep: 22 May 2018
Your weekly reminder to back up your data, update software and otherwise pay attention to your digital environment. (Oh, and to head to the CRASH Space meeting…)
Zone 4 this week: Last month I called it “Do No Harm”, but I’m changing the name to “Leave it Better.” Trying to not be part of the problem can be harder than it feels like it should be. It’s so fun and joyful to just finally get something online, worrying about whether or not it will be a bot two seconds later feels like an extra burden. Yey let me offer up the idea that not contributing to the pollution honors our craft, and cleaning up other people’s mistakes honors the community. Be the type of hiker that packs an extra bag of trash down the mountain. Leave the internet better.
Jump in Here
- Welcome. If you haven’t been following along, it’s okay. You’re not behind, you’re just where you are.
- Need a instant pick me up? Jump straight to our Easy Wins.
- There are more recommendations under Start Here.
- Feeling more ambitious? Just wait for the Learn section!
- Check that backup systems are actually running. (more)
- Update main computer(s), phone(s) and tablet(s). (more)
- Clean out and reset wallet/purse/laptop bag/vehicle. (more)
- Put any straggling passwords/secure info into password manager, Spend some time updating flagged passwords. (more)
- What neglected inbox will you check today? (more)
This Week’s Focus: Do No Harm
- Survey your domain. Patch ‘em up or shut ‘em down. Better off than a bot. (more)
- Spend some time today learning your industry’s best practices. (more)
- If you found a security problem in one of your projects, tell people. Don’t be embarrassed. Everyone makes mistakes. It’s how they get fixed that matter. (more)
- If you’ve found a security flaw in someone else’s project, speak up safely. (more)
- If you’ve found a security flaw speak up KINDLY and with attention to detail. Community, it can be the best thing and the worst thing. Which one it is, is up to us. (more)
News and Updates
Where do you scan for news, include a politics update!
- Interesting, YubiKey working via NFC on the iPhone. Will Tomu get to play?
- Cryptocurrency miner malware on Windows. Including one that asks nicely, but deceptively. More details on how it works.
- Researchers and companies CAN work in harmony! Open Whisper Systems, I love you.
- Hard choices about Amazon! Does saving The Expanse balance out the pimping out of their facial recognition software? Aaarrgh. Nice things. I just want to have nice things. Sigh.
Speaking of nice things on Amazon… did you know you could buy conductive fabric (Affiliate link, LOL. Manufacturer Non-Amazon retailer) to make a pouch for your phone? Because it’s up to the FCC helmed by Securus’ old lawyer Ajit Pai to stop the mobile phone location data leaks?! Oh my. (read Kreb’s article)
- The Washington Post has a cybersecurity newsletter.
- I really liked Deadpool 2. I also really like this (SPOILER FILLED) discussion.
We are a community. You are a welcome part of it.
- Did you learn something cool in your sweep? Make something? Share it!
- Speak up
- Like going to conferences? Maybe one is coming up!
- Show up at CRASH Space.
Thanks /r/CozyPlaces, for giving me “Treehouse Goals“… apparently at a hotel called Azulik? And OMG, they have an Artist Residency? Nice.